Sunday, August 23, 2009

Louisiana, Missouri - Murals

Yesterday, I took a ride up to Louisiana, Missouri. I rode up to see their Murals. Doing this gave me two things - a destination and a purpose. Now, I had heard about these murals and did a little bit of internet research to see if it would be worth the time and trouble to go up there, and the internet assured me it would be worth both. And, we all know, you can believe everything you read on the internet.

Anyway, I took off about 8:30 yesterday morning and headed up highway 79 north towards what turned out to be this sleepy little river town that's a throw back to about a hundred years ago. It lies about 85 miles north of St. Louis and 33 miles south of Hannibal. It's bonafide Huck Finn country.

It was really quite charming. There wasn't a whole lot going on there but there were lots of Victorian style houses and old, old brick buildings and a bunch of friendly people. Life moves at a slower pace here and you get the feeling you're not travelling in the same universe as St. Louis.

But let's get to the murals, shall we? Anyone who knows me, will tell you that I don't know the first thing about art. The design on a can of Budweiser is pretty much top notch art in my book. You see where I'm coming from? So, consider the source when I tell you that if you saw one of these murals sitting out in the middle of, say a cornfield, you'd call it a billboard. Now I'd admit that it's a pretty NICE billboard, but a billboard just the same.

But when they're painted on walls, they're called murals. Say it with me everyone, M-U-R-A-L-S. And this, I am told, is what separates art from advertising.

And so, I dutifully took pictures of as many of these as I could find (remember my purpose?). I'll let you be the judge as to whether these are art...or billboards.


I believe this ones called "Plank and Toll Road".














I think this ones called "Honoring all Veterans".














"Pike County Wildlife"















"Stark Brothers Nursery"















"Historic Churches"















I think this one must be called "Old Glory"















For all I know this was just the "Elks Lodge" regular sign...















"Buffum Tools"















"Lindbergh in Ashburn"















"The Railroads of Louisiana"















"Springtime in Louisiana"















"The McDannold Livery Stable"















"Cornish Ford"















"John B. Henderson"















"Buffalo Fort"















"Vintage Lacrosse Lumber"















I have no idea what this ones titled. Final Approach?















"Five Historic Homes"















"Georgia Street in the 1940's"















"Vintage Louisiana Fire Engine"















"Zebulon Pike"















"The Delta Queen Approaching the Highway 54 Bridge"















"Winter in Henderson Park"















And FINALLY..."George W. Trimble"

















So, whaddya think? Art or billboards?

5 comments:

  1. Art, I would say. Just read your blog entries from your 5400 mile trip. At about the same time my wife and I made a 5400 mile trip (over three weeks), but in our car. We had planned to take our V-Star 1300 Tourer, but I got hit from behind at a stoplight in early May and the beloved bike was totalled. Me? I got up and kicked the car that hit me. I have been blessed! We stayed in North Platte two days before you did, and we were not much impressed with the steak house near the Hampton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mixture of commercial and folk art. Very nice blog. Lived in St. Louis many years and traveled all around it. Never knew about these murels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow Uncle Kevin! You just saved me a trip to Louisiana! oh - and i think it's art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well all I have to say is now that you have gone to see them I won't have to!:)
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your opinion in the beginning was 100% correct, throw back to 100 years ago, slow paced "Huck Finn" town, not like St. Louis THANK GOODNESS. But reguarding the MURALS it's Louisiana's history interpreted and represented as the artist sees it! The mural you referred to as possibly just The Elks sign was originally on another building that burnt and pretty much all that was saved was that painting. But weather you consider it "art" or not each piece is a giant labor of love by each artist who dedicated their time!!!

    ReplyDelete