Sunday, July 26, 2009

Day 2 ( is it really ONLY 2 days? )

Well, I got to see a beautiful sunrise in North Platte, Nebraska this morning. I have to tell you it's even better when you get to see it the way I did - in my rearview mirror cruising down the interstate at 75! I figured out that if you get out of bed BEFORE the Nebraskan's you might get to drive the speed limit. I OWNED the interstate this morning, well, me and the big rigs. But that's OK, those guys know how to drive. It was an hour before I saw another car.

Western Nebraska and all of Wyoming are easy on the eyes. Lots of wide open spaces, buttes, mountains, rolling hills...you name it. And best of all, not a lot of traffic. Sometimes you can look and not see a house in any direction. Pardon me if I go off in a quasi-spiritual realm here, but I wonder if the people who live in places like this live in some kind of altered state? I think I was in an 'alpha state' for about a hundred miles there at one point. Or maybe I was just abducted by aliens.

Good suggestions all - about the places to focus on. Trouble is, I read them all AFTER I had driven by. Beautiful country indeed. Adrienne, I did stop at that 'Lincoln' place in Wyoming and here is the proof....















I recollect seeing that that's the highest elevation on I-80...something like 8,900 ft. I was continuously frustrated driving through Wyoming. I kept saying to myself, OMG, this is SO beautiful. I wanted to stop and take some pictures but the devil on my left shoulder wouldn't let me. So, I did the only rational thing I could and took a picture while driving...




Now, I know what you're going to say. "Why that's nothing special, what'd he go an take a picture of THAT for?". Well, you have to realize that by the time I got the bright idea to do this while driving 75 mph, went thru the balancing act to unpack my camera from my tank bag, remove my motorcycle gloves so I could operate the camera, turn ON the camera, then change hands so I could take the picture...the scene I wanted to capture was 20 miles behind! I almost killed myself trying to take a picture for you guys!

It was another 600+ mile day. You know what? I dont' enjoy driving 600 miles a day on a motorcycle! I think 500 should be the limit. Anyway, I made it to Ogden Utah and it is very beautiful here. I took a picture at a rest stop just outside of Ogden...



Time to head out for some chow. Haven't had a bite all day. Linda, I haven't even opened the box of granola bars you packed for me. I've just been too driven (that's a reach at a pun).

The plan tomorrow is to drive to a place called Pendleton, Oregon. I can't help thinking about the old "Pendleton Road" in Warrenton whenever I say that. Those are Thanksgiving memories reminiscent of "Over the River and Through the Woods" for me.
But that's another topic.

Oh, if anyone is trying to reach me by my cell phone - don't. It died. E-mail will have to be your alternate.

I haven't seen the Osmonds yet, but I did see 2 men and a dog walking into a bar...

See ya!

5 comments:

  1. Nice photo's today. I thought I was crazy taking photo's while driving a car. You've taken it to a another level!

    Enjoy the huge hill coming down into Pendleton and pick yourself up a wool blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. err. . . s/photo's/photos/g and s/a another/another/g :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh - Don't take anymore pictures on a motorcycle at 75 miles per hour. You have an implementation to complete.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin ~ enjoying your blog and pictures but a bit concerned about the multi tasking while driving 75 MPH. Stay safe and keep it coming............... ;-)
    Nona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad,
    Are you crazy???? What part of "be safe" didn't register????? No more of that reckless driving, I want to see pictures as much as the next guy, but I'd rather have my dad safe and sound!
    Love you!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete